Christian Comic Arts Society

A Network of Christian Fellowship for Comics Fans, Pros, and Amateurs

I was wondering about what software to get for creating my manga series. I was thinking the deluxe version of manga studio, but is there any software that's better (I'm also playing around with ideas for some YouTube animations, so I don't know how that will factor in).

Also, I have motor skill problems because of my Autism, so a Wacom is a must. Which is the best deal for the lowest amount (once again. I'll be using it for both comics and animation). Any help is greatly appreciated.

Views: 128

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi,

Have you thought about using photoshop? I have seen people create animation using photoshop. The cheapest animation studio I think is anime studio, but I haven't look at the price. I bought anime studio for $50 and the pro version for $200, but that was like 6 years ago, so I don't know the price now. I think photoshop is good for creating a manga and animations.

Hi there!

I have Manga Studio 5 right now, and although I myself am an beginner, I have taken classes for that program that says there is not a huge difference between Manga Studio 5 and Studio 5Ex. I love my Manga Studio, and know it is used at many of the top art and animation colleges in the States. Hope that somewhat helps.

Thanks! Do you have any idea about Wacoms? Also, I really like your profile picture. Did you draw it?

ReclaimingComics said:

Hi there!

I have Manga Studio 5 right now, and although I myself am an beginner, I have taken classes for that program that says there is not a huge difference between Manga Studio 5 and Studio 5Ex. I love my Manga Studio, and know it is used at many of the top art and animation colleges in the States. Hope that somewhat helps.

No, I need something that already has the perspective points in place for background drawings. Any
Any advice about Wacoms? Thank you very much.

Jazmyne Roddy said:

Hi,

Have you thought about using photoshop? I have seen people create animation using photoshop. The cheapest animation studio I think is anime studio, but I haven't look at the price. I bought anime studio for $50 and the pro version for $200, but that was like 6 years ago, so I don't know the price now. I think photoshop is good for creating a manga and animations.

I have used Photoshop Elements 7 (was $75 at Costco) and have found it up to anything I need it to do. A friend of mine who is a commercial cartoonist says that Manga Studio and Photoshop are the two best, and nearly equal in abilities.

   After much research I bought a Wacom Intuos CTH-680 Pen and touch pad a year and a half ago from BestBuy for $180(?) and I've been very happy with it. Most of the instructions are online; I've watch an on-line tutorial occasionally since then, if I forget a step.  Since I was drawing by mouse/keyboard before then, I continue to jump from Wacom to keyboard and back again.

I know a Wacom Intuos would be a great choice. They work well. Intuos Pro would be the next level up in quality (although, really, all Wacoms have amazing quality) but they are also a level up in price. Have you visited the Wacom website?

The program Sketchbook has something like what you mentioned if I remember correctly.

I found a few older tablets on ebay for around $50 each a few years ago.  They were ones that people bought, used once, and didn't like so they put them up for auction.  I gave one away to a former student, but still have the other and haven't used it myself.  You can have it if you want or you can try your luck on ebay for something newer.  You can also find good deals on software on ebay or go the open source route with inkscape and other programs for free on the internet.   There are tons of how to videos on youtube for inkscape as well as websites for help in learning.  I have heard great things about manga studio though.

Mom said no to you giving me the Wacom, but thanks anyway. I'll look on eBay.

Dan Lee said:

I found a few older tablets on ebay for around $50 each a few years ago.  They were ones that people bought, used once, and didn't like so they put them up for auction.  I gave one away to a former student, but still have the other and haven't used it myself.  You can have it if you want or you can try your luck on ebay for something newer.  You can also find good deals on software on ebay or go the open source route with inkscape and other programs for free on the internet.   There are tons of how to videos on youtube for inkscape as well as websites for help in learning.  I have heard great things about manga studio though.

Understood. 


K.G. Adams said:

Mom said no to you giving me the Wacom, but thanks anyway. I'll look on eBay.

Dan Lee said:

I found a few older tablets on ebay for around $50 each a few years ago.  They were ones that people bought, used once, and didn't like so they put them up for auction.  I gave one away to a former student, but still have the other and haven't used it myself.  You can have it if you want or you can try your luck on ebay for something newer.  You can also find good deals on software on ebay or go the open source route with inkscape and other programs for free on the internet.   There are tons of how to videos on youtube for inkscape as well as websites for help in learning.  I have heard great things about manga studio though.

Thanks!

Brien Sparling said:

I have used Photoshop Elements 7 (was $75 at Costco) and have found it up to anything I need it to do. A friend of mine who is a commercial cartoonist says that Manga Studio and Photoshop are the two best, and nearly equal in abilities.

   After much research I bought a Wacom Intuos CTH-680 Pen and touch pad a year and a half ago from BestBuy for $180(?) and I've been very happy with it. Most of the instructions are online; I've watch an on-line tutorial occasionally since then, if I forget a step.  Since I was drawing by mouse/keyboard before then, I continue to jump from Wacom to keyboard and back again.

I got a Ugee tablet for Christmas and from my past (5year) experience with wacom tablets, I prefer the ugee! I have the M7800 and I love it.
This link is the search on Amazon. You may try a smaller size for a cheaper price. Mine was around 60$

FireAlpaca is a free program to draw with and they are working towards animation too but nothing past gifs as far as I know. Anime and Manga are good as well for a cheaper price than the sad state that is Photoshop/Adobe stuff. 

Replies for your questions. 1. There are some good free or open source drawing softwares. I recommend GIMP (open source) and Medibang (is free, but not open source). Krita is another good software (has many options in brushes), but can be a bit slow in Windows.

2. As to tablets, among the Wacon tablets, there are no need to buy the more advanced or expensive tablet. Even the cheapest or less expensive Wacon model is better than the top models made by competitors.

But if you never had a tablet before, you can also start drawing in a Genius tablet. Genius is cheap, but not so good as Wacon. 

RSS

Welcome to the Christian Comic Arts Society (CCAS) Online Network!

Did you know that CCAS has monthly meetings in the Los Angeles area? Contact Eric Jansen for more info!

 

Also, members of CCAS have produced the APAzine ALPHA-OMEGA for over 25 years!  We have about five openings right now!  Contact Eric Jansen for more info!  (This is a 30-member active-participation-only photocopied magazine for Christian writers and artists who submit a "trib" every other month for fun, fellowship, and critiques by other members.  Between postage and your photocopying costs, you might pay anywhere from $5 to $25 per issue.)

© 2018   Created by CCAS Web Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service