Christian Comic Arts Society

A Network of Christian Fellowship for Comics Fans, Pros, and Amateurs

I was recently commenting on a fellow artist's webcomic, a black/white manga-style short story; and I got kind of excited as I realized how much it resembled a Chick Tract from the 70's and 80's.

Chick Tracts were designed to be printed cheaply as pocket-sized stories, two pictures on a tiny page, total pages about 22-30. Their size and style made them awesomely easy and cheap to distribute to friends, or out on the street, and they were really effective.    Here is a good example, https://www.chick.com/products/tract?stk=1176 . They're still using this same structure, but public consumption has changed and they're not having nearly the impact.

I think the next great opportunity for tract-based evangelism will use cell-phones, on software-platforms like Instagram, Snapchat or Twitter for example. The tiny screens mean the viewer will see one frame of your story at a time and, given our short attention spans, quickly navigate through a story by flicking their finger across the screen.  A great example of a successful Instagram-based comic is Pet-foolery: https://www.instagram.com/pet_foolery/  . Pet-Foolery's artwork is really good but not very ornate, the scenery is basic to non-existant in many of the frames.    I think basic black ink short comics could be adapted to a Social media format pretty easily and could be really successful at reaching people.

PS. This talented artist says his 'scribble comic' is a work in progress, but I'm sure he wouldn't mind if you wandered over to http://www.asaintjoanofmyown.com/the_edge_of_the_flock  and checked out Edge of the Flock .

Views: 37

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

After all these years, one of my memories that stands out was going to a little sandwich shop on Kauai. The owners were devout Christians, and at the front counter they had little racks of Chick Tracts. I took one to have a little lunch time reading, it was really good!

I'm fascinated by your thoughts about cell phones and the new consumer reader habits of the current age. Though I don't even own a cell phone, last month my two sisters and my brother and their children came home to visit, and cell-phones and I-pads were everywhere! Going where the readers are to spread the Good News, that's the way! 

God bless you Brien, you've certainly blessed me and this site:)

RSS

Welcome to the Christian Comic Arts Society (CCAS) Online Network!

Did you know that CCAS has monthly meetings in the Los Angeles area? Contact Eric Jansen for more info!

Also, members of CCAS have produced the APAzine ALPHA-OMEGA for over 25 years!  We have about five openings right now!  Contact Eric Jansen for more info!  (This is a 30-member active-participation-only photocopied magazine for Christian writers and artists who submit a "trib" every other month for fun, fellowship, and critiques by other members.  Between postage and your photocopying costs, you might pay anywhere from $5 to $25 per issue.)

© 2019   Created by CCAS Web Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service