Christian Comic Arts Society

A Network of Christian Fellowship for Comics Fans, Pros, and Amateurs

I posted this in the introductions section but I think I need to post it here.

I recently finished a Christian Webcomic,

Johnny B. Goode

I have been working on ideas for several years for old school 50s style Superhero comics with Christian Characters. I have a lot of Ideas but I'm not a great writer, anyway let me know what you think. I can't seem to get any feedback. Please tell me honestly. I'm not going to change this Johnny B. Goode story but it could help me with the next one. I eventually want to introduce my Christian superhero group The Shock Squad into this 1950s world and have stories involving doctrine, christian issues, apologetics, and biblical teaching using superheros fighting evil as the metaphor of spiritual warfare.

Views: 453

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ahkay couple questions, where in those pages did johnny b. goode ever lie to millicent? He never tells her something that isn't truth. And if he did lie how do you justify God helping johnny, when He who detests lying lips?

I guess that's a major problem. The idea is that Johnny has been making up lame excuses of his whereabouts when he does the Hero thing. Maybe God gave him strength in spite of himself when he was in peril, I don't know how that works out theologically. I know the Bible says if I regard iniquity in my heart the Lord will not hear me.

The problem is I'm not a great writer, I don't have this worked out because as a Superhero he has to lie all the time about who he is but he claims to be a Christian and God works in his life. I don't justify Johnny lying to Millicent, I want to resolve it actually this is just a set up. If you have suggestions or solutions let me know.

Alika,

My comics are dead rant was more geared specifically to secular comics. "Well done ugly" is no longer my cup of tea. Sure they might be well drawn, but they are just so UGLY. Ugly colors, ugly scenes, ugly content, ugly ideas. Ugly, ugly, ugly. No hope. No life.  (Colors for the most part is my biggest issue - everything is MUD. The second biggest issue for me - the death, violence and outright nihilism - and the constant resolution is to solve the problem with one's fist, or gun, or...)

Do note, I did say: Comics are dead. Long live comics.

I have seen on these very boards, no less than 3 projects that people are working on that give me hope for this medium. Not everyone is the best artist, not everyone is the best colorist, or even writer - but what I see is life, joy, and heaven forbid, HUMOR. 

This project is one of them.

Alika Parsons said:

@Martin from reading your earlier reply does this mean comics are not dead?

I think you can have someone not lie -but be perceived as lying - or as not trustworthy. "Where were you Johnny" "Um, I had to help the old lady across the street", "For an hour and a half?"

So the perception could be that he's lying - even if he isn't, and this too can cause an internal distress. And if the perception isn't dealt with, then someone (Milly) might believe that he is lying, therefore not worthy of her time.

Merely a suggestion.

Christopher Lee Jones said:

I guess that's a major problem. The idea is that Johnny has been making up lame excuses of his whereabouts when he does the Hero thing. Maybe God gave him strength in spite of himself when he was in peril, I don't know how that works out theologically. I know the Bible says if I regard iniquity in my heart the Lord will not hear me.

The problem is I'm not a great writer, I don't have this worked out because as a Superhero he has to lie all the time about who he is but he claims to be a Christian and God works in his life. I don't justify Johnny lying to Millicent, I want to resolve it actually this is just a set up. If you have suggestions or solutions let me know.

Only do what Martin suggested if Johnny is actually helping an old lady across the street. You don't want your heroes to be liars with God helping them, not a good look. Take this for instance.

Now if Johnny had said "Milly I just remembered something I have an important doctors appointment." This would be a lie, cause he's not going to a doctor, but he is leaving to do something important.

I don't see, as to what you've captioned, as Johnny's ever lied to Milly. It's moreso half-truths, you're partially telling someone what's happening but not revealing everything. And from what i can recall from scriptures it's not a sin.

But don't get me wrong I hate half-truths, i've been going thru it w/ loved-ones lately, like: "What? I told you I was going out to eat.", "Yeah, but you didn't say it was gonna be with your ex-!"

But as Christians what should we do go to scriptures right? So, here's my reasoning for this stance on Half-truths and the angle you should probably take. (Mind you in posting these Scriptures I'm weary of satan getting a foothold in certain peoples compromising, thinking it's okay to be foolish or deceitful. So pray this does more good than harm.) In Exodus what did God tell Moses in the desert?

Exodus 4:12 - 12 Now therefore go, and I will be with thy mouth, and teach thee what thou shalt say.

So Moses and Aaron both went to Egypt and talked to Pharaoh.

Exodus 5:3   -  And they said, The God of the Hebrews hath met with us: let us go, we pray thee, three days' journey into the desert, and sacrifice unto the Lord our God; lest he fall upon us with pestilence, or with the sword.

Now we all know this was a Half-truth cause the Israeli's were not just going three days' journey into the desert to sacrifice unto the Lord. They did do that, but they then went on into the promised land. They were leaving Egypt, but pharaoh didn't need to know that. But we should also keep in mind:

Exodus 9:12 - 12 And the Lord hardened the heart of Pharaoh, and he hearkened not unto them; as the Lord had spoken unto Moses.

Did the Lord do this to teach a lesson partly on half-truths, in that the jews did go thru plagues and hard times, and that we could find ourselves in similar hardships from half-truths? idk, but that doesn't denote the fact that it did happen.

In regards to your story from this viewpoint I don't see Johnny B. Goode as having lied to Milly, just half-truths. But, it might be a good thing to keep your narrative in that Johnny still sees it as lying. And maybe make a contrast(unbeknownst to the readers) by having Johnny actually lie and God doesn't answer his prayers. But never cover it outright, just put it as it just happened, God didn't help out and instead some flatfoot has to bail your hero out of trouble. Then see if your readers can correlate the difference w/o you having to tell em'. But of course don't have God answering prayers until repentance and an asking of forgiveness is done by your hero.

It is not okay to lie.

Psalm 101:7

7 He that worketh deceit shall not dwell within my house: he that telleth lies shall not tarry in my sight.

Proverbs 12:19

19 The lip of truth shall be established for ever: but a lying tongue is but for a moment.

Proverbs 12:22

22 Lying lips are abomination to the Lord: but they that deal truly are his delight.

Proverbs 19:22

22 The desire of a man is his kindness: and a poor man is better than a liar.

Proverbs 26:18-19

18 As a mad man who casteth firebrands, arrows, and death,19 So is the man that deceiveth his neighbour, and saith, Am not I in sport?

Proverbs 26:28

28 A lying tongue hateth those that are afflicted by it; and a flattering mouth worketh ruin.

Proverbs 30:8

8 Remove far from me vanity and lies: give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with food convenient for me:

Ephesians 4:25

25 Wherefore putting away lying, speak every man truth with his neighbour: for we are members one of another.

Colossians 3:9

9 Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds;

To piggy back off from Buzz - who is normally wrong (*smile*) - there are instances where lying is not only condoned but encouraged in the Bible. The midwives who allowed the Hebrew children to live lied to Pharaoh about their birth. And God blessed them for it! Therefore, this instance seems to justify lying in such instances where the lives of others are at stake. Also, Rahab lied to the Jericho soldiers about the Israelite spies (THEY WENT THATAWAY!!!). And she was blessed for it as well. THUS, lying is not always wrong. 

Exodus 1:19

19 And the midwives said unto Pharaoh, Because the Hebrew women are not as the Egyptian women; for they are lively, and are delivered ere the midwives come in unto them.

Joshua 2:4

And the woman took the two men, and hid them, and said thus, There came men unto me, but I wist not whence they were:

idk what version you're reading that condones and encourages lying? But in both those two instances the midwives and Rahab are replying truth, just not the whole truth, in other words half-truths. Lying is not okay.

Alika, no. The reason that the midwives did not take the lives of children is because they "feared God." That is explicitly what the Bible says was their reasoning for not taking their lives. When Pharaoh asked them why they didn't do it - that is, what their impetus was for not killing the children - they provided a reason that was possible, but not true. He was asking them what their motivations were, and they did not give him their true motivations. You are quibbling. You are grasping at straws. And I know it, and you know, and you know I know you know it. 

But let's accept what you're saying. You are saying that half-truths are fine and Biblical? That giving a POSSIBLE reason to somebody for something as opposed to the ACTUAL reason you did something is fine? So if somebody asked me why I hit an old person on the highway, and I told them matter-o-factly that it was dark, but the actual reason I hit them is because I am psychopathic and like to hit old people because it makes me feel alive, you wouldn't consider what I said a lie? And if my mother asked me if I ate a cookie before dinner, and I told her that it was possible my little brother ate it (because it is possible that he could have), then you wouldn't consider that a lie? Is it really better for you to reason that half-truths are Biblical, but not lies told in order to save someone's life? Is the spirit of the Law regarding telling the truth really one that allows for half-truths but not lies told for the sake of others? 

What the midwives and Rehab said was truth, just not the whole-truth, i.e. "feared God". and they were not being deceitful remember:

Psalm 101:7

7 He that worketh deceit shall not dwell within my house: he that telleth lies shall not tarry in my sight.

Now those two examples, both instances, they're attempting to cover up something wrong done in the eyes of God. One's murder and the others stealing, both of them have broken the ten commandments, are trying to deceive others from knowing it, and God detests both. If it was dark when the psycho hit the old person then it's a half-truth, but again he did wrong and is trying to deceive people. The stolen cookie is a lie because the brother had nothing to do with it. If the kid had said, "I saw the cookie there earlier.." or "I wish I had a cookie before dinner." those would be half-truths. But regardless if they're half-truths or not if the person did wrong they're in trouble, again read:

Psalm 5:6

6 Thou shalt destroy them that speak leasing: the Lord will abhor the bloody and deceitful man.

Half-truths for doing right is a completely different story.

Alika, let me try this a different way.

I feel like you are deceiving someone, when they ask you WHY you do something, and you give them a reason that does not align with your motives for doing something. If you do not murder someone, but hate them, you murder them in your heart. That is the spirit of the law. Likewise, I feel like if you do not TECHNICALLY lie to someone, but avoid answering them how they want you to, you are just as much lying to them, even if not by the letter. You are fundamentally lying to this person.

To address the Scripture you are offering, I would argue that certain exceptions are warranted when it comes to any aphorism or platitude that exists in the Bible. This is why it is very important to search the Scriptures daily. Because sometimes it is okay to work on the Sabbath, as Christ noted. And sometimes it is okay not to blindly obey civil authority, as Christ illustrated when He didn't answer Pontius Pilate. Both Sabbath breaking and rebellion are remonstrated in the Bible. As is being a dirty liar. But just like in those situations, I feel like there are instances where lying is okay. For instance, with the midwives. The midwives lied because couched in Pharaoh's "WHY" when he asked "WHY DID YOU NOT DO THIS?," was a question of what his motives were. That is what the question entails and implies. He is not asking them what POSSIBLE reasons could they list for not murdering the children - you are reading that into the text to satisfy your theological biases. He is asking why they, personally, chose not to. Every question that begins with 'why' and involves the behavior of a person is always a question regarding motive. And they did not give him their motives. And they were deceiving him because they knew what he was asking, and they didn't answer him with that in mind.

And exegetically speaking, I would MUCH rather assume that there are exceptions to a rule, than to assume that when God gave His laws, He meant that we should take them by the letter of the Law, rather than the Spirit - and I would much rather hedge on the former, because the latter is contradicted by Christ. We didn't technically lie, but we didn't answer the substance of his question. We didn't technically murder him, but we hate him in our hearts. Etc.

But agree to disagree, I suppose.

Luke 23:3

3 And Pilate asked him, saying, Art thou the King of the Jews? And he answered him and said, Thou sayest it.

Telling someone the truth(be it half or whole) is not deceitful or a lie, it's telling the truth. What the midwives, Rahab, and Jesus said was not a lie, what they said was what had happened. And who's to say doing the work of the Lord is not keeping the Sabbath? Cause that's what Jesus was doing, what the Lord wanted him to do.
Bottom-line Christ never contradicted the law, matter of fact, he fulfilled the law, everything in it. And lying is not okay.

RSS

Welcome to the Christian Comic Arts Society (CCAS) Online Network!

Did you know that CCAS has monthly meetings in the Los Angeles area? Contact Eric Jansen for more info!

Also, members of CCAS have produced the APAzine ALPHA-OMEGA for over 25 years!  We have about five openings right now!  Contact Eric Jansen for more info!  (This is a 30-member active-participation-only photocopied magazine for Christian writers and artists who submit a "trib" every other month for fun, fellowship, and critiques by other members.  Between postage and your photocopying costs, you might pay anywhere from $5 to $25 per issue.)

© 2019   Created by CCAS Web Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service