Christian Comic Arts Society

A Network of Christian Fellowship for Comics Fans, Pros, and Amateurs

Just wanted to throw a question out there:  what are you reading in the way of (secular and/or Christian) comic books, strips, graphic novels, manga, online comics, etc. that's out there now.  Not what are your favorites of time past, but current reading in the year 2013 (it can be reprint material, too).  This is not to condemn or endorse any particular titles---just a survey sort of question.  If you don't read comics anymore, that's a legit answer, too.

Hope to hear from everyone who frequents this forum! 

Views: 311

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Secular webcomics I look forward to eagerly and have put money into: CodeName Hunter(DarcSowers), Endtown(Aaron Netherly), Doc Rat(Jenner), Freefall (Mark Stanley), Kevin&Kell(Bill Holbrook

Christian webcomics: Moth and Ethan(Chandler), Light Weightz (Justin Martin)

Print Comics I have bought books of this year: Blacksad(Canales & Guarnido), Usagi YoJimbo(Stan Sakai)

I have a lot of other comics 'Faved' and admire them periodically, but wouldn't pay money for a book of their work.

Iveread some of brien sparling's strips that he post. Also I read Steve crespo comic strip from nothing.. other than thatnot too much of anything

I just read R-Squared Comicz LightWeightz: The Anthology Parts 1 and 2 and Captain America #6.

Thank you to those who replied, but there are so many more here who haven't (yet). 

My question is for a very good reason which will be stated once a sufficient number of replies have been made.  Rest assured, this is not to criticize anyone or any material out there, but, as I said before, as a survey of sorts. 

In all fairness, I suppose I should have gone first in the survey, but here goes... 

As for myself, I don't buy/read any new comics or graphic novels.  I occasionally peruse preview materials online, and my Kubert School students often show me what they're looking at.  My interests (in the secular material) are more on the reprint side (classic comic books and strips republished/restored by IDW, Fantagraphics Books, and Vanguard Publications, e.g.).  And there are so many Golden, Silver, and Bronze age comics being scanned and put online at sites like The Golden Age Site, Diversions of the Groovy Kind, and Ragged Claws, besides countless others.  Also, I like to visit original art sites like Comic Art Fans and Heritage Auctions where I can see large file size scans of covers, interiors, etc. 

To me, most contemporary comic books and graphic novels are quite ugly because of the (overrendered) computer coloring.  Yes, there are a few exceptions who do fine work in that area.  Any semblance of a Judeo-Christian (and kid-friendly) ethic is long gone from mainstream comics.  For the most part it is such a dark world of warped characters who no longer resemble their former selves (a reflection of secular society as it moves farther and farther away from the influence of the Gospel of Jesus Christ).

Finally, I feel I've pretty much "seen it all" in what can be done in comics panel continuity as we have known it.  Very, very few creators advance the form these days; some make pretty pictures, yes, but that's not the same thing as cinematic storytelling.  But I didn't want to get into a discussion about this, but rather to hear what you (on this forum) are reading these days.  Please share!

Kind regards in Christ Jesus,

Alec   

not really reading anything .... but I am enjoying Brian Sparlings comic....

I read a bunch of comics from Campfire, Toon Books, :01, and whoever else sends me something to review- mostly books intended for the kids or teen sections of the library. Plus whatever we add to our library collection that catches my eye which may not be "new" material, but new to me. I'll have to think about which titles have really gotten my attention and get back to you.

In terms of Christian works I mostly come across them through here. Rust Angel by Matt Tirre and Allegories of the Way by Mel Todd are two of my favourites. I like their take on angels, giving the more of a culture and a social structure, and can't say I'm not a fan of their artwork, either. I also enjoy following the installments of The Sparrow by Nathan Lucas, Celsus the Apologist by Sven Jacobs (always good for a chuckle), and Abalon [of California] by Brien Sparling. It's nice to see a different take on female fantasy heroes and anthropomorphic characters, and get the occasional humorous reality check.

By way of secular print comics I've been giving some of the Bat titles from the New 52 and some of the Superior Spider-Man titles a shot, along with the Hunger miniseries from Marvel. I tried giving DC's Trinity War event a chance, but dropped it in part due to sold out issues at my local comic shops and because the first issue of the Infinity miniseries by Marvel impressed me. Picked up Batman: Hush and Age of Apocalypse: The X-Terminated as well. Titles from independent or lesser known secular publishers haven't really impressed me, save for Jupiter's Legacy by Image, though its inconsistent release schedule is frustrating. 

Okay, I  had some time to think about the question and put my list together- I don't know if the new stuff is all that new, but it's what I have been reading this year-

Doug Tenapel's Cardboard; Hamster Sam's Odd-ventures in Space; Astonishing X-Men (where the original team travels to our time to save the Beast); Old Man Logan (Wolverine); The Front: Rebirth; Came the Dawn- Stories by Wallace Wood; Rebecca & Ernest; The Tower Treasure; The Amulet series; and a ton of the public domain comics on DCM and ComicBookPlus. I just have a real affinity for the older comics and the great artists like Matt Baker, Wally Wood, George Tuska, Jack Cole, Alex Toth, Jack Kirby, etc, etc.

I try to keep abreast w/ all my favorites listed, and mostly for the art cause most'a the stories are trash.

Hey there all! Well, I wasn't reading any comics except for the daily strip 'Luann' this year, until I came back to this site a few days ago. Now I'm definitely going to read:

Rust Angel

An Act of Faith

LightWeightz

all of which I started reading digitally this past weekend. Good stuff! Give 'em a try!

My genuine thanks to those who answered, but those who didn't---and yet posted several times to other topics in this CCAS forum---have tacitly reconfirmed only one of many problems I've seen on Christian comics forums since the '90s.

I had hoped that if we had across-the-board honest answers here, that it would be a good litmus test for many things related to Christians and comics. 

One very legitimate answer was made on another post entirely on Monday:

"  I pretty much only read digital comics. More so now since comixology now allows indie titles. I use Comics plus but only because Act Of Faith was on it. I hope Act of Faith goes to comixology. Comics are easier to read on Comixology. But with the new innovations in HTML5 you will no longer need a reader to view comics in the guided view format!"

The point of the survey was to see if those on this forum actually read comics anymore.  From those who responded it seems that very few in turn read very few secular comics, and most here read digital comics made by their fellow amateur creators.  There is nothing wrong with that.  However, in the not-too-distant past there was a very open, very ugly divide between professionals and amateurs on several other (now-defunct) Christian comics forums.  Very hostile on both sides, unfortunately. 

Where there is unity (in the Spirit) God commands a blessing (see Psalm 133). 

Though sales have increased a bit in secular comics since last year (according to comichron.com), they are remarkably low overall.  Digital media hasn't brought in the numbers that secular (and Christian) publishers have hoped for, either.  Sadly, it appears that when digital edges out print media, the low cost of digital comics will also necessitate a lower cost in creators' pay.  At present, very, very few creators make their living in (secular) comics.  Most have to have work coming in from elsewhere.  The marketplace is so flooded that extremely few titles have runaway sales anymore.  It is very fragmented (this is also true in other media as well - where there were only 3 major U.S. networks several decades ago, there are now more channels than one knows what to do with). 

If a new (and effective) business model doesn't arise in this digital age where piracy is the norm and free material on the 'net is expected (and received) it doesn't bode well for consistent quality by paid professionals in the near future. 

I'm surprised that no one mentioned anything by Kingstone Comics on their 2013 reading list.  Anyone?   

Several factors affect my comics reading habits: 1) the cost- whether it is digital or print, I can't pop down $10 or more every month on new titles. 2) There are no comic shops within 20+ miles of where I live- and that means going into Charlotte (yikes! there's a reason it's called NASCAR country!) which means more time, and money. 3) I grew up in the bronze age of comics and have a real affinity and appreciation for books from that time all the way back. So many comics have become so dark and gory and offensive for no other reason but to see how dark, gory and offensive they can be. Sadly, what was predicted about superheroes in "Kingdom Come" being a reckless, directionless group with little regard for protecting others or standing for something has come to pass, in my opinion. If that is what is largely being put on the shelves, then I'm honestly not interested. 4) I work at a library and have access to what they choose to order so for every Walking Dead or Batwoman graphic novel they get, I make sure there is an Ed Brubaker Capt. America or a Jeff Smith Shazam  included. I also receive books to review from time to time. 5) There are so many free public domain comics that I can and want to read, I probably could read non-stop for several years and not worry about running out. 6) Those rare times I can buy, I look for the deals in the back-issue bins- or hit the "under $.30" tab at New Kadia.

I know this was long reply, but you seemed to be as interested in why we do or don't read as much as what we read.

RSS

Welcome to the Christian Comic Arts Society (CCAS) Online Network!

Did you know that CCAS has monthly meetings in the Los Angeles area? Contact Eric Jansen for more info!

Also, members of CCAS have produced the APAzine ALPHA-OMEGA for over 25 years!  We have about five openings right now!  Contact Eric Jansen for more info!  (This is a 30-member active-participation-only photocopied magazine for Christian writers and artists who submit a "trib" every other month for fun, fellowship, and critiques by other members.  Between postage and your photocopying costs, you might pay anywhere from $5 to $25 per issue.)

© 2020   Created by CCAS Web Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service