Christian Comic Arts Society

A Network of Christian Fellowship for Comics Fans, Pros, and Amateurs

I am new to ccas but hoped I would have an opportunity to collaborate with a like minded brother or sister on a project that would glorify God and spread the gospel.  I have some ideas of my own but am open to anything.  I like to write, pencil, ink, digital color and illustration.  I enjoy cartoons and animated style but am willing to try anything.  If you are looking for someone to create with give me a yell.  You can see samples at www.kevinterryart.weebly.com  Thanks and God bless.

Views: 257

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Very cool artwork. Welcome aboard!

Thanks for the kind words and the welcome!

Kevin D. Lintz said:

Very cool artwork. Welcome aboard!

Hey Kevin, Have you gotten feed back from anyone or found anyone else you want to work with?

If not, give me some details on what you prefer to collaborate on, your project or someone else's?  Do you prefer the writing or penciling or inking and coloring?

Now we have to clarify...which Kevin? :)

I am a writer and letterer. I have collaborated on smaller stories for anthologies and my largest project has been an all-ages book called Team SLUG (www.slugsforall.com). I co-wrote it with my friend, we hired an artist, I did the lettering.

I would love to work with someone on one of their projects since I don't have any of my own projects in the wings right now.

Of course, if you were asking the other Kevin....

Hey Brien,

I have some ideas but am willing to work on anything.  I am just a hobbyist so I can't commit to anything full time but would be open to do some artwork, primarily character design or digital inking or coloring.  Let me know what you have in mind.  Thanks!

Brien Sparling said:

Hey Kevin, Have you gotten feed back from anyone or found anyone else you want to work with?

If not, give me some details on what you prefer to collaborate on, your project or someone else's?  Do you prefer the writing or penciling or inking and coloring?

This is addressed to both talented Kevins, and anyone else too:

I work full time as a science teacher, so my in-development comic (chapter 1 is at abalonofcalifornia, and my almost complete chapter 2 is here) is a ministry in the making.  I don't ever anticipate making income out of the strip, so I guess I am a hobbyist as well.  I've rough scripted out 2 more chapters, and have an even rougher direction of the story out to sixteen chapters.

I have some nervousness about attaining a regular level of output, say 2-3 strips a week for a the four year period this story could pan out to.  So, before I seriously go about advertising my strip, I've been praying for the Lord either send collaborators and/or show me ways to increase my production and quality level.  God is gracious and I've been enjoying the learning curve as I wait on the Lord.

I'm also interested in sticking my artistic nose into other peoples projects at the slightest invitation.  I suppose my special interest is in story development.

Hey Brien,

I just read through ch. 1 of Abalon and have looked through all your photos here on ccas.  I might be able to help you with some coloring which from your notes seems to be real time consuming for you.  I must say though your story telling abilities are excellent and if I did help I hope I can maintain your artistic quality.  The story so far reminds me of the parable of the vineyard, you recall when the owner of the vineyard sent his son to the husbandmen they said something like this is the heir let us kill him and all will be ours.  Makes me want to read that story again.  Anyway I would love to help however I can, even if it only saves you a few hours. 

Also, I am not familiar with patrons or praying to saints, can you tell me more about it?  Thanks and God bless.

1) Where are you at on your O-boy story?  Are you looking for any coop on that?

2) The mission system in California was initiated by the Jesuits then carried forward by the Franciscans, both Catholic. I'm not sure how familiar you are with the Catholic faith but traditionally, it is believed that the virtuous Christian dead in general and Church-recognized Saints in particular can advocate for you and your prayers before the throne of God.  Catholics believe they are Christian, some because they were born/baptized Catholic, some because they went through Catechism and then became members, or some believe in salvation through a personal faith in Jesus Christ.  In my story, the main character, Abalon, through a series of interactions with a mysterious un-named saint, is moved toward a more personal faith with God.  Abalon is going to give this saint a series of names as their relationship progresses; Abalon's final discovery is the divine being he has come to love is the Lord Jesus himself.

3) The Patron system in mission California was similar to the indenture system in Medieval Europe. You soul was secured by God and his established Church, your everyday life was secured by your Patron.  Your parents could do an initial indenture, but formal indenture had to be done by personal commitment. Once linked, the indenture could only be broken by formal agreement of both parties. Every male had a “Patron” or was a Patron, it was a recognized system in which people cared for each other with a minimum of regulation.

4) Where to go from here? Well…I have the next two pages(21 & 22) inked and scripted. You want to try your hand at coloring one of them proBono?  The color schemes will need to be in line with the Chapter 2 art( that are on my CCAS gallery). 

Or…we can have a fruitful discussion of your O-boy storyline, although if your script is as polished as your character schetches then I can’t offer much more than editing.  Where do want to go from here?  

Kevin Terry said:

Hey Brien,

I just read through ch. 1 of Abalon and have looked through all your photos here on ccas.  I might be able to help you with some coloring which from your notes seems to be real time consuming for you.  I must say though your story telling abilities are excellent and if I did help I hope I can maintain your artistic quality.  The story so far reminds me of the parable of the vineyard, you recall when the owner of the vineyard sent his son to the husbandmen they said something like this is the heir let us kill him and all will be ours.  Makes me want to read that story again.  Anyway I would love to help however I can, even if it only saves you a few hours. 

Also, I am not familiar with patrons or praying to saints, can you tell me more about it?  Thanks and God bless.

Hi Kevin, I just joined ccas recently and I saw your post and looked up your website.  You have some really great work and a wide range of art styles, very cool.  I saw that you were intertested in working on projects and collaboration and I have no doubt you've been approached by a few people as you've got some great work.  Just wanted to throw my two cents in the hat.

I'm currenlty producing an animated project called Redemption the Series (www.redemptiontheseries.com) and I'm looking to build a team of concept arists who are interested in bringing to life a super hero drama that can compete with the best of Marvel and DC for reaching teens and young adults with smart writing, mature subject matters, and really cool action.  I firmly believe that the best way to attract people to God's Word is to give them a "wow factor" something that hooks them and encourages them to listen to the message being presented.  Currently the website has some early concept art and information about what I'm looking for as well as the concept music for the series.  If intertested please check it out and give me your thoughts.  I'm always willing to further discuss the project.

If you need help on your own projects I'm certainly willing to do what I can.  My skills in this forum lie in writing predominately. 

In any case, it was a pleasure looking at your work and I hope and pray that your ministry reaps a large harvest. :)  God bless

Hey Chris!  Thanks so much for the kind words and the invite!  I have already checked out your site and read every page.  I like the concept work you already have very much.  I noticed your color work on some of the designs, very nice!  The music also is great!  Like I said I read through the list of things you were looking for and didn't know if I fit very well.  My interests lie mainly in character design, and you seem to have that well taken care of.  I don't know how well my style would mesh with that of your talented artists either.  I am not as comfortable with environments or prop design so I am not sure I could help and that's the reason why I didn't fill out your application.  However, I think the reason we both came to this site is because we want to be a part of a community of creative people who love the Lord and seek to help and encourage one another.  So of course any help I could give will be my pleasure as you indicated was your heart as well.  So if you have any need of character designs or the meager advice of a life time comic/animation geek I'm your man.  I am also a pastor in the evangelical slant, so if you have need any help in the theological aspect of your project I would love to help there too.

I also wholeheartedly agree with your statement about producing the highest quality work possible.  Our God is excellent in all He does.  He does all things well and His way is perfect.  We want to image that as much as we can with His help.  Of course nothing we do will be perfect this side of eternity, but I feel we must esteem Him so much we strive to give Him our best.  After all He gave us His best, His One and Only Son.

As far as my personal project, I have been blessed to find some help.  And that's why I came here because I really needed help!  Would you mind if I ran my story idea by you, possibly in the next few days? I would love to get some feedback from a writer like yourself and on the color as well.

With all this being said I would like to start an honest critique group.  Something I have been trying to find for a while now.  Everyone here is so nice!  But a nice and honest critique helps us get better.  Anyway, thanks Chris for your kind words and for being a part of this community.  Thanks also for your great work on your project and your heart to glorify God and reach people.  May God richly bless you as you serve Him.

Brien, 

I am a little familiar with Catholicism, though they don't have as much a presence in my region as they probably would in Ca.  I do have Catholic friends who are very dear to me and knew a little about this tradition.  I thought, however, your saint would turn out to be Christ, I got a clue when Abalon said the wind and wave obey Him.  Very clever story!  Honestly at face value your comic is a little out of my area of interest since I mostly like the super hero genre.  But I am being equally honest when I say the story and very fine artwork has pulled me in.  I am excited to read more of ch. 2!  I am also amazed at the amount of work you have produced, where do you find the time?

If I could somehow get some hi res copies of your pages I will try my hand at coloring.  Let me know what file format you like to work in and what your basic technique is and I will try and replicate your style.  Also I don't have photoshop I use GIMP but I think a basic xcf file or png or jpeg should still be compatible.  I will be honest if I get into it and am not up to your quality.  And of course you have to know it may take a while since I actually have 2 paying jobs and a family.

As far as O-boy goes, it is aimed at a younger audience so it is not as complex as what you are doing.  But if you don't care I will run down the basic story for you in the next few days or so.  I have some gaps that I really need help filling as far as story goes and my scripting is cliche and clumsy so I would love help on that too.  Your story telling sense in your panels is very good as well.  Mine is kind of plain and too straight on, so any advice there would be greatly appreciated.

I noticed in some of your posts you asked for critiques.  I would like to start an honest critique group.  Everyone here is so nice and I appreciate that.  But a nice honest critique helps us get better.  Maybe we can get a group like that started if there isn't one already.

Thanks Brien, your work and fellowship is a breath of fresh air.  I look forward to more of it in the days ahead.

Kevin

Brien Sparling said:

1) Where are you at on your O-boy story?  Are you looking for any coop on that?

2) The mission system in California was initiated by the Jesuits then carried forward by the Franciscans, both Catholic. I'm not sure how familiar you are with the Catholic faith but traditionally, it is believed that the virtuous Christian dead in general and Church-recognized Saints in particular can advocate for you and your prayers before the throne of God.  Catholics believe they are Christian, some because they were born/baptized Catholic, some because they went through Catechism and then became members, or some believe in salvation through a personal faith in Jesus Christ.  In my story, the main character, Abalon, through a series of interactions with a mysterious un-named saint, is moved toward a more personal faith with God.  Abalon is going to give this saint a series of names as their relationship progresses; Abalon's final discovery is the divine being he has come to love is the Lord Jesus himself.

3) The Patron system in mission California was similar to the indenture system in Medieval Europe. You soul was secured by God and his established Church, your everyday life was secured by your Patron.  Your parents could do an initial indenture, but formal indenture had to be done by personal commitment. Once linked, the indenture could only be broken by formal agreement of both parties. Every male had a “Patron” or was a Patron, it was a recognized system in which people cared for each other with a minimum of regulation.

4) Where to go from here? Well…I have the next two pages(21 & 22) inked and scripted. You want to try your hand at coloring one of them proBono?  The color schemes will need to be in line with the Chapter 2 art( that are on my CCAS gallery). 

Or…we can have a fruitful discussion of your O-boy storyline, although if your script is as polished as your character schetches then I can’t offer much more than editing.  Where do want to go from here?  

Kevin Terry said:

Hey Brien,

Just a general message to all. I have experience with lettering, having taken some classes and lettered several published books, including my own series Team SLUG (www.slugsforall.com).

I would be happy to work with people on lettering their things. Let me know!

RSS

Welcome to the Christian Comic Arts Society (CCAS) Online Network!

Did you know that CCAS has monthly meetings in the Los Angeles area? Contact Eric Jansen for more info!

Also, members of CCAS have produced the APAzine ALPHA-OMEGA for over 25 years!  We have about five openings right now!  Contact Eric Jansen for more info!  (This is a 30-member active-participation-only photocopied magazine for Christian writers and artists who submit a "trib" every other month for fun, fellowship, and critiques by other members.  Between postage and your photocopying costs, you might pay anywhere from $5 to $25 per issue.)

© 2019   Created by CCAS Web Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service