Christian Comic Arts Society

A Network of Christian Fellowship for Comics Fans, Pros, and Amateurs

Hello everyone. I'm currently knee deep in a 2+year project creating a graphic novel adapted from the harmony of the Gospels. The end result is a 220 page comic version of the life of Christ that I want to use as a ministering tool to youth who might not be so quick to pick up their bible, but may be interested in this instead. I'm pretty confident in the creative aspect of this but have little idea as to how to get this published or financed. I'm including the youtube link here for anyone interested in viewing it (hope that's okay). Your feedback/advice, etc will be greatly appreciated.

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyB2ZtZ8zCw

 

 

Views: 168

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It looks fantastic. You have a great style, very dynamic. Jesus looks manly, active in His stances, and forceful, which is great – His authority comes through. It's a professional After Effects presentation as well, great instrumentals, dramatic. I'm looking forward to seeing the graphic novel on the stands! It must have really been your whole daily life for a while, rather grueling at times, but it looks like it will have been worth it. Anyways, be very blessed, and may your project win the lost and hurting to the Savior.

Chris
Thanks, Chris. I appreciate the response. It is a labor of love above all else. I would like to see this reach others, but have truly resigned myself that if it never makes it to any stands, I still know that it has glorified the Lord in the work. However, you're correct. I look forward to the days of going to bed before 1am eventually.

Christopher Heidt said:
It looks fantastic. You have a great style, very dynamic. Jesus looks manly, active in His stances, and forceful, which is great – His authority comes through. It's a professional After Effects presentation as well, great instrumentals, dramatic. I'm looking forward to seeing the graphic novel on the stands! It must have really been your whole daily life for a while, rather grueling at times, but it looks like it will have been worth it. Anyways, be very blessed, and may your project win the lost and hurting to the Savior.

Chris
I like some of the parallax scrolling in the presentation. That's all the comments someone like me could offer though :-/.
Buzz, thanks for the suggestions. I think that once i get the artwork completed fo rthe graphic novel, it will lend itself to other possibilities such as those you presented. I will have to look into that.

Buzz Dixon said:
Wow! Impressive work. I like your style -- stylized enough to really bring out the dynamics of the story, realistic enough to not lose sight of the message.

As for marketing, I would suggest (a) releasing it as a motion comic via iPhone app or something similar and (b) approaching publishers who deal with Christian education & curriculum (Cook Ministries, Strang Publications, maybe some others; Google should be able to locate all the top players for you).

Best of luck with this -- it looks really impressive.
I like your cartooning, and think the trailer was especially well-presented. Bravo! Harmonizing the Gospels is a wonderful idea, too, and I don't know if I've ever seen that done in comics. There are so many accounts in the four Gospels which give us partial details which, seen together, give us a fuller picture of key events. It's important for any Bible student to cross-reference these (same when reading 1 & 2 Samuel, 1 & 2 Kings, and 1 & 2 Chronicles for similar harmonizing of parallel accounts for a "3-D" view of events).

One of the tricky things for any artist when illustrating Biblical text is to make the individual characters recognizable. All these bearded Jewish men! One may have to go the "Gilligan's Island" route and have them wearing the exact same clothes for several years' experiences (for the sake of the viewing audience).

I have one very minor criticism which may only apply to the trailer, and not the actual comic story: a number of times in the trailer there is a white 'halo' around the black holding lines of figures. Remember that line is not form, it is symbolic of the horizon of form. What I mean is that we can lose/sacrifice the outline, and the interior form is not harmed at all.

All the best to you on this! Pray it through, and we'll stand together in prayerful agreement on God's placement of it. Kudos, Brian!

Alec
www.calvarycomics.com
Fantastic presentation, Brian -- a dramatic invitation!

Couldn't help notice there was no credit (humanly speaking) in the clip. I get a great sense from this as well as the tone of your posts and testimony (on your page) that you are - as John the baptist said and all of us must do - decreasing that He may increase. Praise the Lord for that and for your efforts to glorify Him (though I hope you _will_ include a by-line on the actual book! :) ).

On distribution/financing, I wonder if it would be feasible for your church to partner/sponsor you in this project? We've seen the Hendricks brothers use this approach in producing and distributing Christian films ("Facing the Giants" and "Fireproof"). I wonder if there's a way to do a similar thing with a Christian graphic novel project?

Anyway, I pray you will seek God's guidance above all and that He will lead you exactly where you need to be at every phase.

And I agree with you; Jesus has already been glorified in the doing of the work. It is a wonderful addition to your already powerful testimony, Brian.

The Lord bless and keep you always.

In Messiah,

Lee
Thanks, Lee. I appreciate the input. Not to pry, but your name seems familiar to me. Have you worked in the comic book industry? I feel like I've seen the name (your name?) before in mainstream comics. In regards to your response, I am planning to speak to my church once this is a bit further along and see if they might be willng to do exactly what you're suggesting here.

Lee Weeks said:
Fantastic presentation, Brian -- a dramatic invitation!

Couldn't help notice there was no credit (humanly speaking) in the clip. I get a great sense from this as well as the tone of your posts and testimony (on your page) that you are - as John the baptist said and all of us must do - decreasing that He may increase. Praise the Lord for that and for your efforts to glorify Him (though I hope you _will_ include a by-line on the actual book! :) ).

On distribution/financing, I wonder if it would be feasible for your church to partner/sponsor you in this project? We've seen the Hendricks brothers use this approach in producing and distributing Christian films ("Facing the Giants" and "Fireproof"). I wonder if there's a way to do a similar thing with a Christian graphic novel project?

Anyway, I pray you will seek God's guidance above all and that He will lead you exactly where you need to be at every phase.

And I agree with you; Jesus has already been glorified in the doing of the work. It is a wonderful addition to your already powerful testimony, Brian.

The Lord bless and keep you always.

In Messiah,

Lee
Hi Brian,

Yeah, I've been doing this for a while -- mostly for Marvel, but there have been little stints at DC and Darkhorse over the years, too.

Please keep us informed as to when you take this to your church (or another church), so we can pray for you and the project. And, when and if you're comfortable, I'd love to see an actual page or two with lettering, the layout, and such (but only if you're okay with it).

God bless you, Brian!

In Messiah,

Lee
Sure. I can send you a page or so if you'd like. I'm not sure if I can send them from here, so if you want to send me your email, I can send you a pdf or two. You can write me at briandawson101@comcast.net

Lee Weeks said:
Hi Brian,

Yeah, I've been doing this for a while -- mostly for Marvel, but there have been little stints at DC and Darkhorse over the years, too.

Please keep us informed as to when you take this to your church (or another church), so we can pray for you and the project. And, when and if you're comfortable, I'd love to see an actual page or two with lettering, the layout, and such (but only if you're okay with it).

God bless you, Brian!

In Messiah,

Lee
I hope you'll share a page or two with the rest of us, too! On your page on this site there is an 'upload' section where you can have a slideshow of images which can be enlarged when clicked upon.

Blessings in Christ,

Alec Stevens
Good Call. Thanks. I uploaded a few of them. They are still in need of text or reworking, but they give a general idea of what it will look like overall.

Calvary Comics said:
I hope you'll share a page or two with the rest of us, too! On your page on this site there is an 'upload' section where you can have a slideshow of images which can be enlarged when clicked upon.

Blessings in Christ,

Alec Stevens
Excellent presentation!!! I would suggest that you go to www.createspace.com. It is a very cost effective way to self-publish your book. We were able to produce two 40 pg. graphic novels at little cost to us. If you're looking to a major publisher to finance and distribute your book, you may want to look at those that are currently producing comics, such as Zondervan.

RSS

Welcome to the Christian Comic Arts Society (CCAS) Online Network!

Did you know that CCAS has monthly meetings in the Los Angeles area? Contact Eric Jansen for more info!

 

Also, members of CCAS have produced the APAzine ALPHA-OMEGA for over 25 years!  We have about five openings right now!  Contact Eric Jansen for more info!  (This is a 30-member active-participation-only photocopied magazine for Christian writers and artists who submit a "trib" every other month for fun, fellowship, and critiques by other members.  Between postage and your photocopying costs, you might pay anywhere from $5 to $25 per issue.)

© 2020   Created by CCAS Web Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service